You could easily make this with 50% lamb but we only had ground beef on hand.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2lbs or 1K ground beef (preferably ground twice)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil for greasing the dish and drizzling or spraying on top of the loaf of meat
- Equipment: baking dish that fits in your air fryer
Use a good processor or blender to liquify the garlic, onion, and seasonings.
Put about half the meat in a food processor and pulse till it becomes a paste.
Mix everything well.
Press firmly into greased baking dish.
Spray olive oil on top.
Set air fryer to 200C/400F and cook 25min.
Let cool, preferably overnight in the fridge.
Slice thinly and reheat with juices 5min on high in the air fryer.
You can use this for traditional gyros served on pita bread or in a salad with the same ingredients.
- Red Onion slices
- Tomato slices
- Tzaztiki Sauce (we did yogurt with dill salt olive oil and vinegar)
- feta cheese